Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Open letter to our Military – by Laine D

May 30, 2011 by
Filed under Aspire to Inspire, Just me

arlington

It’s not enough to say… “Thank you”but I do.

It’s not enough to pray for you every night but I do.

It is not enough to think about the privations you endure for us but I do.

It is not enough to think about the freedoms you give up daily to keep us free but I do.

It is not enough to shake your hand and thank you when I meet you in the world but I will.

It will NEVER be enough to cry and pray for you when you are injured or make the ultimate sacrificebut I will.

I know that you don’t ask for thanks or recognition but I give it anyway!

Maybe it comes close to say that I have stood with you and would gladly be your comrade in arms again.

And to tell you that you are welcome in my heart and home any time.

Thank you for keeping me and mine free!

God bless & Thank you.

Laine & family

Flag raising at Iwo Jima

Flag raising at Iwo Jima

Comments

91 Responses to “Open letter to our Military – by Laine D”
  1. admin says:

Thanks for your service Michael!

As a military member (80’s), military granddaughter, daughter, and military wife ( British & US) I think its always something that I’ve been aware of. I hope the tide will turn in favor of our veterans & troops and we as a nation will learn to nurture them and appreciate them more.

Aspire to Inspire!

2. Yvonne Hall says:

I’m the Air Force brat of a Korean and Vietnam vet. Tributes like this one always leave a special mark on my heart — like Michael said my dad did not always have warm welcoming sentiments from our countrymen. Thank you so much for sharing a wonderful message!
    Yvonne

3. Fiona Stolze says:

Hi Laine

Such beautiful heart-felt words that are already reaching out and touching so many. Thank you for all you do.

In friendship.

Fiona Stolze

4. amy donovan says:

very poignant letter, laine. thanks for sharing with us.

amy donovan

5. Thanks for you wonderful thoughts Laine. I’m a Marine combat vet and it’s very special to get the thanks.

6. admin says:

Thank you Fiona!

I hope this gives some support to Vets, Service Men and Woman, their families and friends, they totally deserve more than they receive.

7. admin says:

Amy,

8. admin says:

Happy Birthday for last week Bill,

The Marines hold a special place in my heart, as I spent a lot of time around CENTCOM main headquarters at MacDill AFB and was lucky enough to attend the Marine Corp Ball there a number of times.

Glad you received my letter! be sure to give it as a gift from me (& you) to any of your buds).

Semper Fi Marine!

9. admin says:

Yvonne,

I know exactly what you mean! That was something that plagued British troops serving in Northern Ireland and was in my thoughts returning to this country as a military spouse traveling with my husband.

Actually the thought of writing this letter was escalated by reading of protests at military funerals… I needed to take action and joining an online group didn’t seem to be enough! I can’t say my answer has made that much of an impact but perhaps helped and will gladly lend my words to promote any cause to support our military past and present.

If your Dad is still with us please ‘give’ him my small token of appreciation and let him know WE care. My Dad is gone but I have a feeling he would have liked it :)

Thank you!

10. admin says:

Julie,

I can tell you it was written from pure emotion ~ when I learned that individuals were protesting at military funerals and needed to say something! The first lines were written in a letter to an unknown soldier and flowed….

My words can never come close to making redress for the insults, but I was willing to do what I could to get the word out there. To be honest I did nt think it would have the impact it has had … but wanted to take a stand.

I did receive some nasty mail (none here thank goodness) but through my Linked In group. One woman, an erstwhile marketer who sends spam email accused me blocking her inbox and I was very eloquent in advising her of who fought for her right to be what she is!

If I had to write it over there are changes I would make to tighten it up, but it would lose authenticity. Maybe someday I will write the redux who knows 😀

I agree totally that we need to do more for our hero’s

11. Pat Zahn says:

Laine – very beautiful…no matter what your political feelings or personal feelings about war, it seems crazy that ANYONE would not respect, thank and appreciate our soldiers, still living or not. Those who serve must be honored.

12. These comments are deeply moving. I personally had no idea what military personnel & families have to go through. Now I am a spouse of an Active Duty Navy First Class Petty Officer who is deployed. I agree that regardless of one’s political views military personnel have given up their freedom, their rights over their own bodies, they die for our freedom. I too thank all military personnel and their families for their sacrifices.

Lisa Ann Landry
    Vibrating positive energy….what are you vibrating?

13. Thanks for reminding us of the sacrifice many have made. It’s been tough on their families and your thoughts are hopefully a comfort for them and theirs.

14. I had no idea what military personnel have to go through. I am now the spouse of an Active Duty Navy Petty Officer who is currently deployed. These people give up all their rights to protect our freedom. I agree regardless of your political views Military personnel and their families deserve our deepest gratitude for protecting our country and our freedom.

Lisa Ann Landry
    Vibrating Positive Energy…what are you vibrating?

15. Laine- This really touched me when you sent it to me on Veteran’s Day. You said so much in such a few words.

My son is in the Navy and will probably be deployed to a hospital in Afghanistan (he’s a corpsman- which is a medic) so I struggle with this as a mom. I think Jean said it best when she said, that as a solider, you write a blank check to the government up to and including your life. That is a huge check to give to anyone or anything but people do it all the time.

Thanks for the beauty in your words.

Candace Davenport
    http://www.ourlittlebooks.com ~ Little Books with a Big Message

16. admin says:

Pat,

I’m with you 100%, it shouldn’t matter what your political beliefs the military do what they are ordered to do… holding the line or cannon fodder! We must support them and fight for them as they do for us.

17. admin says:

Lisa Ann,
    Thank you!

I’ve been in the position to experience this from multiple military perspective.. serving (Royal Navy), as a British family member (Royal Artillery, RN) and as a US family member (USAF) – and nothing much changes.

I must say though that I miss the camaraderie more (serving or family) than I can say! There is something special about the relationships ~ especially on overseas deployments or combat deployments.

Thank you for your husbands service and the sacrifices that you make every day to allow him to do what needs to be done.

18. admin says:

Kathy Alice

I can only hope that they do! With the increasing deployment levels our military are tasked to the max and deserve all of our support.

Thank you.

19. admin says:

Thanks again Lisa Ann – seems that comments with links are automatically kicked to spam – my apologies for keeping you waiting, to be honest I had not expected to still be getting comments so far into the week 😀

But the bigger the ripple hopefully the more people will take notice of the plight of our overextended military ~ we desperately need some positive stuff to counteract the protesting at military funerals heh!

I have been contacted about turning it into a slide show/ ad for one of the military support environments.

Thanks again

20. admin says:

Candace,

I can imagine you are torn between pride and worry! My thoughts are with you both… My girls are not old enough to serve yet but both want to, so we will have to see how I face that when the time comes …

My Mother in Law has not spoken to me since her son, my husband passed ~ since I encouraged him to apply for his ‘dream’ position, one which ultimately cost him his life. Although I obviously regret his loss it was his life to spend and I will honor that forever with my shoulders back and my head held high as he would have wanted, but there are days when it is still very hard…

Writing this poem /letter wracked me with pain, loss, anger, regret, happiness, pride, sorrow and everything in between, as have the overwhelming number and beautifully written comments I’ve received… I consider both to be our testimony to our hero’s that we care.

To everyone I’d like to apologize when my response has been tardy… sometimes the words wouldn’t come.

Thank you …….

Laine Dakin
    Thoughts from A Broad

21. Laine you have written with such depth of feeling, really brings a lump to my throat. The idea that people lose their identity for duty, honor pride and hope, is a noble one. Something you celebrate with each word. I admire your respect and love that shines through, I hope each person who serves, who has served, or who will serve, their country, will have the opportunity to read and be touched by your words, by the power of your soul.

Jennifer Duchene
    http://home-decorating-makeovers.com/ The Home Makeover Mixtress blending cool & cozy

22. admin says:

Jen,
    Thank you so much – your comment gave me goose bumps ..

I too hope that it will bring comfort to as many as possible. I am totally humbled by the response it has received and hope it will help heal or ease some of the hurts that have been inflicted.

23. I like this information given and it has given me some sort of commitment to succeed for some reason, so keep up the good work.

24. Love your site man keep up the good work

25. Hi,
    This letter is great. I have some family members who are serving and have served and would love this letter while deployed.

Thanks

Support Our Troops!

Thank you Lessie! Hope you come back again soon.

“Aspire to Inspire”
    http:www.ThoughtsfromABroad.net

You can get an RSS feed (button is at the top of the page) and We do have a facebook page as Laine D, and ThoughtsfromABroad is on Networked Blogs on FB.
    Thanks

Happy to Inspire Jeffrey!

“Aspire to Inspire” is my motto
    Thoughts from A Broad

Crystal,
    Thank you so much – please share the letter with your deployed friends, family and their loved ones with ‘our’ thanks and best wishes.

Warm wishes
    “aspire to inspire”
    Thoughts from A Broad

Just trail and error 😀

Sure contact me, we have a contact me button or leave more specific contact info here – I specialize in reinvention stories

or via facebook – Laine Dakin

Just a binder Inka – you can use pineapple. watermelon or papaya juice instead, both give an additional boost to the enzymes. Although the lycopene in Tomato juice is extremely good for you and chock full of antioxidants and possibly anti cancer fighting. 😀

Have fun

34. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

Thank you I hope you will check back often.

36. Laine, What a beautiful and touching tribute. My step-son just graduated from high school and now wants to enlist in the air force. I am terribly afraid for him but know that it would be an honorable and selfless act for him to join (not his most prevalent characteristics right now!) :-) Thank you for this, Laine.

Trish
    caregiving. family. advocacy.

Dear Trish,

Thank you for your kind comment.

You know sometimes it takes time to find yourself and growing up in the world now I would imagine its harder than when we were kids.

The USAF offers a good life, really good training in a hundreds of different specialties, travel and a great opportunities to take responsibility ~ I’d say its a great place to grow up! While its not 100% safe, nothing really is.

Both of my daughters (14 & 16) are talking about going into the military although neither one wants to follow their Dad into the Air Force (hmmm?), they’ve mentioned Navy, Army and Marine Corp so far so…

Not sure where you are or where he is but if I can help let me know.

Love your blog!

Cheers

38. lori says:

This is so beautiful and expresses the exact sentiment I have when I think
    of those who served and gave their lives. Thank you for writing this.

39. lori says:

This is beautiful. So incredibly well said. Can never take for granted the sacrifice of those who bravely give their lives, so we can live ours free. Thank you for sharing this.

Thank you Lori, Not just for reading but for reminding me it has validity each Memorial Day and Veterans Day … in fact for many every day.

This wasn’t something I sat down to write, in fact it was a spontaneous letter to a service man or woman on a website… one of those ‘now say Thank You things’. It was only after I had finished and realized I had tears streaming down my face that I had unwittingly sparked something in myself and perhaps others. If I could rewrite I would be tempted to make changes but… then it might not have the authenticity.

To all our service men and women, veterans and to those who gave everything ~ We’ve got your back because you had ours. We appreciate what you give and have given and all you sacrificed and will hold the line.

And to you Lori – Thank YOU!

41. Ron says:

Here is a nice way to say Thanks to the Troops. The Grateful Chics will donate a Patriotic Grateful Bead Strand to a soldier every time one is purchased. This charitable partnership is through Operation Gratitude, a non-profit that send care packages to our Troops. The soldiers will know someone cares, remembers and is grateful for their service with these tokens of Gratitude. Check them out here: http://shop.gratefulchics.com/Patriotic-Star-6-length-STAR09P.htm