Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A Challenge Met

December 14, 2010 by
Filed under Aspire to Inspire, Just me

A Challenge Met

An eon ago (only two weeks really but it seems much longer) I accepted Brandy Mychals -14 day Blog Challenge. Never having taken part in a blogging challenge before I wasn’t sure what to expect and, since I had not produced any freeform literary endeavor with a deadline other than my own in 3 decades the prospect was mildly terrifying

However since I’ve never been known to back down from a fight, I thought I’d give it a try. In many ways it has been a rite of passage challenging, painful and yet enlightening.

In my final blog of the challenge I decided to look at what I have learned and which ideas  have been reinforced.

We must accept ourselves as we are.

In order to take on any change or growth we must be willing to look honestly at our shortcomings. Starting with our own greatest strength, frequently we can assess our greatest weakness.

We must continue to search and grow

To communicate adequately with our audience we must educate ourselves in ever aspect of our passion and our methods of communication but must be sure that we break the information into edible portions.

We must believe that we belong

Confidence and a sense of belonging come from a belief that we match the criteria everyone expects. That we fit in our audiences perceptions of what an expert, a public speaker or training professional acts and looks. While we can dress the part, mindset also colors the way you present yourself and handle things. If you think you don’t belong you will never belong, but if you are sure you do it doesn’t matter if someone else accepts you because you already have!

Understand your Motives

As Simon Sinek says “It starts with Why”, it matters less what you do as much as why you do it. If you are doing something just to make money, the chances are you will but it is only when you do something because it is your passion that the magic happens. Whether you are making lots of money or not you are happy, and happiness is its own reward. Of course, along with a passionate belief in the right reasons is contempt for those who do things the wrong way.

Maintain your Inspiration

We each assimilate information in a different way; by hearing it, by seeing it, by reading it, by feeling it. It is important that you surround yourself with the things and people that inspire you. We should each attempt to cultivate interactions with people who challenge us and push us to push ourselves, those who encourage us or act as a catalyst. We should also aspire to inspire others, it often happens that our best clarity comes while we are teaching or expounding our theories to others.

Aim High

There is a saying “why would we aim for the moon when beyond it is the stars” – don’t set limitations on yourself by being too modest. Set goals which can be adjusted or amended.

You must commit totally

Whether you decide that your relationship or you business is everything, you must be prepared to follow through and maintain it or it is all for naught.

Even brilliance has its moment

Ideas are like fruit on a vine, they do not reach fruition until the world is ready to accept them. The trick is to develop and nurture them and be ready to take advantage, when you are ready for the world the world will be ready for you.

Make the most of your time

Life is short and we only get one go around (well one that we are aware of). Make the most of the time you have and live life to the fullest , commit to facing your fears and living the dream instead of dreaming the life.

Take Care of Yourself

Look after your health no one else can, to do all of these amazing things you need to be healthy physically and mentally. You owe it to yourself but also those who depend on you. Keep your brain sharp to make sure you are emotionally and spiritually ready for all the world has to offer, many of the things we fear offer us the best opportunities.

Add Value to Others

Reach out to those around you, treating them with respect and kindness. Even when someone is born from the same gene pool they do not automatically know who you are. Our true treasure lies in the connections we forge with family, friends and strangers. Believe in the kindness of strangers, reciprocity is an amazing thing and what kindness you give away will come back in unexpected forms.

If we are to reinvent ourselves, to match our dream with a new reality we must face challenges and come out renewed with a stronger sense of certainty and power.  Thanks to the generosity and reciprocity of  friends old and new this challenge gave me a new appreciation and belief in my abilities and the strength of my passion.

Thank you!

Comments

19 Responses to “A Challenge Met”
  1. Congrats on finishing the challenge Laine! You have been extremely entertaining to follow. Way to finish it up, with such an inspirational blog – basically a blue print for a great life!

Sharon Hiebing
    Follow Your Dream Compass

2. A beautiful summery of the 14 day challenge, Laine! All of your points in this post are spot-on (Atticus couldn’t have said it better himself!)

Although I didn’t successfully complete the challenge, I am so happy that I participated. I gain a tremendous amount of inspiration from the other bloggers, especially your writing, Laine.

I must share this post! Many thanks for sharing yourself and your unique perspective :)

Heidi & Atticus
    “commentary to give you paws…”

It’s been a crazy couple of weeks and many of your comments have been the source of the next blog – Thank you for all of your support. Another thing that I’ve learned is I do some of my best thinking under pressure..and around midnight!! I’m a little frightened to see if this is truly coherent or if I got a little fuzzy, but you guys have been pushing me to stop the fine tuning and press save – it certainly has made me more reactive, if that’s the right word LOL :D.

Again – Thanks! Come and join our inspirational book club (me and Louise) and hope to get to know you more on blogging to learn.

LOL I was worried it was going to seem a little fuzzy being done so late, I got to bed at 3am. It was actually rather strange that when I put the topics together there was a bigger message ~serendipitous since not being a series it was planned but on the fly… 😀 I’m wondering should you admit that IF it works!!

What it has done is make me convinced that my original ethos to provide information, inspiration and reinvention is working. Of course I’m nervous to reread since I over edit and over work when given the chance.

My goodness girl the content you did put out was amazing and with the kreeping crud and your back ~ you make me laugh, think, educate myself and get me all fired up (that last piece was genius) – “commentary to give you paws” indeed. I know I’m going to watch your rise to fame and glory and am learning so much from you. Thanks for being such a great friend.

Unique means weird right! 😀

Thanks for the inspiration

5. Awesome post, Laine! So glad you got so much out of it :-) Look forward to keeping in touch…
    Brandy Mychals
    Split Second Perceptions

Thank you so much Brandy – I got so much inspiration from the experience from you, the other bloggers, those who commented, and surprisingly from how true to my passion my posts were (without planning it that way)!

Definitely a reaffirmation of my passion to help others reinvent themselves.

Until next time
    Aspire to Inspire

7. Laine, unique isn’t “weird” it’s an endearment — meaning you are a true individual with a fresh voice! Pure Inspiration :)

8. Paul Novak says:

Whew! You have more guts than I! I know full well what would happen should I undertake any of the challenges I’ve been invited to. Like the rest of my itenerary, they’d get shuffled, delayed, resorted, and tended to in order of importance after paying gigs. Rather than subject myself to the failure, I instead practice denial and simply assume blindly that I could run circles around everyone else;)

I’m sure you would run circles around us all Paul! As a keen reader of your work I’ve certainly read your inspired article: Maybe You Should Unplug That First? http://ow.ly/3tpj0 – I completely understand why you’ve been busy for the last couple of weeks! I am so glad your close encounter with lightening and Christmas lights left you none the worse for wear.

As for the challenge I took the gauntlet in response to several people saying I should write more and be more reactive. While it was a huge drain on my time and a lot of pressure what I got out of it was that without planning my writing stays true to my ideal (reinvention) and that when I stop thinking so much and write more you reach a breakthrough of sorts. I don’t know if I can sustain that amount of reactive writing but.. I might argue that its some of my best work to date. What do you think?

Maybe we should start out with something on a smaller scale? I have decided to produce a periodic digest/ journal of the articles that have touched me, inspired me or made me think most … Something like “What Are You Saying” A week in review – (input welcome on title ) 😀

So what are you writing about next?

10. Paul Novak says:

Well Laine, I’ll be writing about the poor state of integrity and customer service online next. Recently burned with an important purchase, I am almost set to rake someone over the coals;)

Your writing has certainly gained more character and style, but I admit to finding your best work to be the humor and good natured posts about everyday things that otherwise would seem mundane.

I will definitely check that one out Paul! I find this is a great forum for venting plus helping others to avoid the same pitfalls… just another kind of giving.

I do enjoy writing the humorous posts but find many don’t understand my tone 😀 its easier to see sarcasm than read it 😀 Thanks for the compliment.

LOL – Thank you dear one! I will admit to being a ‘little’ bit weird too… 😀 My daughter has a sweater that says “I’m not weird I’m gifted”.

Hope you are recovering from your traumatic dog attack.

You’re always inspiring

13. I thought I had commented on this fabulous post already, but well, obviously not! Great list and I especially like the big headers (even better than bullet-points), very eye-popping.

I told myself for 2011 to continue taking care of myself more and focus on what I believe is important, not just my health but in many other ways like professionally, the people I surround myself with and the places I will visit. Definitely more husband-time!

I don’t want to be stuck but continuously grow and hopefully with as many wonderful people as possible. Whether online or in the “real” world.

Franziska
    @FlavorDesigns

…looking forward to more reads from you :-)

Hi Franziska,

I think our health is compounded of so many parts these days… not only our physical well-being but mental well-being and continued growth spiritually (not necessarily religiously) and emotionally. Science is proving that we need to stay balanced to be happy, that definitely includes doing what we need to do to continue growing our relationships, its a karmic thing you can only be loved if you love!

Exercise the body, expand the mind and develop your passion whether romantically or otherwise 😀 You’re one of the lucky ones whose husband is one of her passions 😀

Looking forward to seeing what 2011 has in store for you!

15. Hi Laine,

Those are all great lessons. Aim high, maintain your inspiration, total comittment. Excellent! Thanks for sharing them.

Chris

You’re a man after my own heart Chris! Definitely words to live by.

17. Laine, Since I’m new to your blog I’m catching up on some of your older posts. This one caught my eye first and am so happy it did! This is so inspirational with so much truth and wisdom. Well done!

Trish
    caregiving. family. advocacy.
    Twitter: robertssister1

Trish,
    I’m glad you enjoyed it! This was the 1st blogging challenge I’ve ever done and it surprised me that when I reviewed what I put out in my unplanned posts that my ‘raison d’etre’ was totally reinforced! That makes me feel that I’m being true to myself at least!

I’m loving your range of articles about Robert, your advocacy and helping others who are stepping up to care or advocate for their loved ones.

Your ‘range’ is truly wonderful. You are an inspiration.

Aspire to Inspire”

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Laine D, Pure Essence Labs. Pure Essence Labs said: A Challenge Met – via Thoughts From A Broad http://ow.ly/3pszI #14blog @BrandyMychals #reinvention #challenge #passion […]