Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Following Childhood Dreams

August 27, 2010 by
Filed under Just me

I’ve already addressed the theme of what do you want to be when you grow up and the answer wasn’t taller!

After all, how many of us get the opportunity to become Rock Stars, Princesses (OK, I know one but it didn’t work out well) or Marine Biologists (my personal dream).

Once childhood passes we are faced with the reality of making enough money to live. I’m not convinced that anyone dreams of becoming: a cashier at the supermarket, bookkeeper for the Pizza place or a repair technician at the tire store. Maybe there are a few realists, but most of us have been encouraged to dream big! Sadly. most dreams fade in the harsh light of financial necessity and merge into the background as the real world takes over. Our dreams are forgotten or become buried to surface in times of discontent or when our children reach an age where we hope they will take over the reins. Whether we get to reclaim them ourselves, relies to some extent on if we fulfilled any of the qualifications to live our dream in the first place. Do we pass the test: can we carry a tune or fake it until we make it (a la Milli Vanilli)? did we kiss enough frogs? Or understand the effect of warm water currents on the seasonal migration of humpback whales?

In our current economy with so many people being unable to work at what they settled for, perhaps there are more opportunities to rework those dreams. As an artistic type I have long been impressed when people opt to act on their creative side, especially when it proves to be the rebirth of the left brain after a long sojourn in the corporate world.

It was a thrill for me to connect with someone who took the chance on her dream because she was knew she was doomed if she did not try. Catherine Healey went from corporate executive to one of the throng of unemployed and, realized that her way forward was to go back to her first passion. For her the rebirth of dream, encompassing her artistic nature and Italian heritage has produced a line which appropriately reflects the architecture of the cities beloved by the Renaissance.

I hope you enjoy this fairytale as much as I have. Catherine, has no aspirations to be a Princess (that I know of) but is happy to supply the accoutrement to go with the golden coach and, I have a feeling we are still only at the “Once upon a Time” in her story.

On her way to the top in a corporate career Catherine (Fossati) Healey designed high end jewelry to pay for college. Twenty years later, she revisited her creative nature and, reclaimed a dream shared with her sister to design and sell limited edition handbags (purses and evening bags). With success knocking on her door, her designs are already favored by movie stars, hitting the red carpet at the Golden Globes and used in a upcoming movie (read the article for details).

Her family’s Italian origins gave her a brand name Fossati quite fittingly is reflected in her first collection. From the sexiness and elegance lines of the “Venice” evening bag capturing the city’s many moods making it appropriate for the very formal to casual chic, while the “Capri” day bag captures aqua waters, blue skies and warm breezes of the Isle of Capri in sleek but luxurious low profile. Her commitment that luxury purses should stay in style, should pacify even the frugalistas among us.

Even Catherine’s website looks like one of the old fashioned high society magazines which you used to find at the Dentists office. Beautiful people in beautiful settings, all with clear strong sophisticated imagery see Fossati
You can contact her through her Twitter account, or on LinkedIn

Comments

18 Responses to “Following Childhood Dreams”
  1. What an inspirational post about following one’s dreams! So few people get paid to do what they have always loved to do. I can only think of two people that I know personally who were that blessed. Most of us are fortunate if we are able to become passionate about aspects of something others are willing to pay us for. I am personally passionate and get excited about Continuos Improvement and Lean manufacturing but that is not quite the same as doing what we loved as a child. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

2. Laine says:

Christian,
    I’m glad it had that effect on you. Passion is so vital and frequently people don’t understand that it should run through everything you do. I’d go so far as to say whatever you do, do it to the utmost of your ability. And if its difficult, remember the old adage “how do you eat an elephant?” “One bite at a time”.

I hope you will enjoy Catherine Healey’s story also since it was her story that inspired my piece.

Thanks for reading

3. Laine, I found your blog through linkedin. We’re part of the same blog group. I was happy to find your post and relate to it. I am a freelance graphic designer. I was making a great living with benefits when I got laid off in January. So the statement “I can’t wait to be on my own” became “Wow I’m on my own…”

With a wife and having to budget, it has been scary, but I went back to my passion of creating characters and the stories behind them. It has gotten me in contact with fellow artists and they’ve been incredibly encouraging. One friend even suggested I get back into pitching my ideas to the animation industry, something I did 10 years ago with little success. I will be talking to his agent and possibly pitching away in a few months. It’s not a sure thing, but the fact that it’s up to me if I want it to happen fills me with excitement and encouragement. It’s never too late.

4. Laine, I wrote this long response and I think it got lost. I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure reading this particular post because it speaks to me. I am in a similar situation as Catherine. I wasn’t an exec of any kind, but I was doing well and then got laid off in January. Since them I have been working hard and networking like crazy. My blog has become a real outlet for me to share my ideas and develop new ones. I am now looking at making a childhood dream come true by possibly getting an animated series made. It’s still very early, but I have meet with encouraging people and it has helped immensely. Thanks!

Dennis

5. Laine says:

Dennis,

Ha! I was just checking out your blog and sketches for Knuckles – your friend may be on to something, he is definitely a mouse for this generation. Little bit of attitude and not squeaky voiced or squeaky clean.

My path meandered a little to get here, corporate management, consultant and teacher while traveling with my ex, then survival mode for the last dozen raising kids alone. Turns out I’m a communicator and very empathic so while I’m good at looking after people, I’m great at aggregating information and the stories of inspirational individuals. Put them together and this blog and a career in Social Media puts me where I need to be right now. I’m hoping it will eventually become being an inspirational leader but who knows what twists and turns are to come. It would seem the lesson is to learn what you can from each experience and move on until you find what makes you happy & never settle for less.

I’m glad you are finding a way to your dream, sounds like you never really gave up hope! Maybe I can even inspire a character in your cartoon.

Thanks for checking us out, if life gets heavy come back for another dose of inspiration! Did you read Catherine Healey’s story”You are doomed if you don’t try” yet .

http://www.ThoughtsfromABroad.net or http://ow.ly/2xB2L

6. Laine says:

Hi Dennis – It didn’t get lost, I think I was writing the reply to it which held up the post. However you make a great point in this portion about your blog has become a real outlet and I couldn’t agree more. I find myself putting what happens on a daily basis in the form of a blog and even IF I don’t publish the release is very freeing.

I’ve heard the same from the people I’ve approached to write their reinvention story – they frequently mention how hard the stories are to write but also how cathartic the writing has been. Better than visiting the analyst and a good deal less expensive.

Networking and sharing the words and in your case images is key.

7. Laine,

Thank you for an inspirational story. I hope I’ll be able to tell a similar one in a few years. You see I was sexually abused as a child and then a victim of intimate partner violence as an adult. In between I was a moderately successful marketer and had the pleasure of working on some great brands like HP, IBM, Citi and American Express.

One morning I woke up realizing their must be a meaning for each of our lives and that its our responsibility to achieve it. Given the pattern I have described mine is to stop abuse.

Today a quarter of American children have been abused. Less than one in 10 will talk about it. A quarter of women will suffer domestic violence. Most won’t talk about that either. Ten percent of the victims in cases of domestic violence are men. Hardly any of them will discuss it. Half of the U.S. population has suffered from abuse. Half the population! How can that be right? Surely not half of the United States? Unfortunately, this staggering estimate is based on numbers from the Centers for Disease Control.

People are talking about 2,000 cases of whooping cough in California but nobody is talking about abuse, hardly surprising its not a great topic of conversation! That’s why we’re a brand of hope not hate and that’s why we are focused on igniting the right conversations, giving stopping abuse a brand that can spawn a movement, even a revolution. Why, because it will take that to stop abuse.

The great news is that stopping abuse will not only impact half the population, it’ll also impact some of the weakest in society, those who have had their souls exposed by abuse. These victims and survivors cost the US taxpayer alone $400 billion. That seems incredible until you look at the human cost, 95% of child abusers were themselves abused as children, 80% of substance abusers were abused as children, 80% of runaways cite child abuse as a reason, 78% of our prison population and 95% of prostitutes were abused as children.

We have a choice, we can continue to invest in the fight against the symptoms of abuse, like the war on drugs, or we can fight the cause and alleviate all that suffering. Strangely The Economist reported that the street price of cocaine in New York City is the same as before 9/11, and so before we taxpayers spent billions on border security. Whilst there is demand there will always be supply, apparently that supply is not overly constrained!

I realized that morning that it was up to me to bring people together. I realized that all the people and organizations doing so much already were not enough. I realized that it was only through all of us working together in synergy that we could stop abuse, and that’s why I launched the Stop Abuse Campaign.

8. Laine says:

Andrew,

Sounds like you have found your purpose and I have found that that leads to catharsis and forward movement.

While we feel broken or damaged the fact that we recognize it and want to help others means the damage is not irreparable.

Congratulations and thank you for the steps you are taking!

“Aspire to Inspire”

9. Mari-lyn says:

Hi Laine,
    Loved your story after years of growing up, I am finding that most of us just struggle when we aren’t doing what we love to do.

For me, when things aren’t working out, or I am not in the flow, I feel like “I have to do” rather than joyfully do.

Your post is inspirational for those who are lost, or find themselves in the same situation as Catherine.

Mari-Lyn

10. It’s so nice to see it work out when someone follows their dreams, thanks for sharing such an inspirational story. I really wanted to be a primatologist (study of primates) and got a B.Sc in Primatology but unfortunately decided not to pursue graduate school in primatology because of the expense vs very limited income at the end of it. I have followed other dreams though and am leading a life in Germany beyond my wildest dreams and hope to volunteer with primates at the zoo here.

11. Laine says:

Hi Laurel,

The good thing is your dreams can be adapted to the path you did take. For years I worked in Procedures and Productivity – since my dreams then were in cell and marine biology I was able to build analogies between how a business functions and how a cell does.

Over the years my dreams changed, I think as I became more confident I wanted to inspire confidence and passion in others and here I am.

Keep your dream alive by volunteering and who knows what will come out of it. Read my article about goal setting: Dream World or Dream Life http://ow.ly/2ENr3 and put a plan into motion to get you where you want to be.

Hope you will come back soon

12. Laine says:

Mari-lyn.

Thanks so much, I agree totally we have to see it (life) as a journey are realize the part of our dreams we can.

Maybe the answer is to adapt them to always have a passion for what we do whether it is how we make our money or how we maintain our soul?

I was reminded about this poem which you may find interesting :
    The Comfort Zone http://ow.ly/2EOUP

I know I feel at my most complete when I have helped someone see a way out or a way forward.

Looking forward to reading more of your heartfelt adventures.

13. Thanks for the encouragement. Some of us are attempting to do both. Follow our childhood dream while working a “normal’ job to pay the bills! I have recently written a book and had it published while still working as a RN at a local hospital to help pay my kids college tuitions!
    I remember as a child, writing stories as my sister drew the accompanying artwork. My dream got lost along the way while making a living and raising children. It came about through an unusual path but happened nonetheless. Thanks for the reminder that this was my dream since childhood but only got buried with life’s circumstances. That seed apparently took root and just now broke through the surface!

14. Laine says:

Laurie,

Congratulations on having your book published! No mean feat especially when you are still working but on the plus side you are working. How wonderful that you have been able to recognize that dream and translate it into your life now.

Maybe you would like to share your story?

Cathy has been very lucky in being so successful so soon but then she was out of work for 2 years – so I’m sure her retirement took a hit.

I’m still working my day job too and will have to work out how to give my girls the education they need within the next couple of years. Just 10 months ago I was ensconced in the tax season slog (until I had my hours cut), and as a single Mom with 2 young daughters that’s very difficult to do. Luckily my persistence in building this website and promoting it brought me to this work. I am grateful that I enjoy my new role as Social Media Coordinator for Pure Essence Labs, so much that although it is difficult it isn’t work and keys into my passion for informing and inspiring people.

Eventually I hope to run inspirational seminars to encourage others to get passed the obstacles in their lives and would like to do speaking engagements. Having worked with Lou Tice for several years I’ve already facilitated courses of that kind but not with my material.

Remember dream the life and live the dream!

15. Found you on LinkedIn through the same post as a lot of the people above! =) This is great, and very much ties in with my life right now. When I grow up, I do want to be a rockstar! And I’m doing everything possible to make it happen. Realistically, I’m hoping for the ability to at least do music full-time; yet dreaming big, I hope to make it big. I’m working on my music, teaming with my songwriting partner, reading personal development, setting goals, and staying focused. I’m also working on growing my fitness business in order to be able to eventually quit my current full-time job and therefore free up time to focus on music even more. Sounds like a lot, but like Catherine, I couldn’t go on without giving it all I got. Sure, I wish I had had more focus even years ago, but I’m still young, lol, there’s always time in the future–you can’t go back, so you HAVE to chase your dreams!!

What a wonderful dream Kerri ~ I think some people fail to set their goal high enough, or wish for it but don’t do anything about it. Maybe we will have to have you share your progress on both dreams ~ its not just the destination but the journey that is important.

Cathy is an inspiration for sure and making great head roads.

Please write to me so we can tell your fairy story.

Remember the best gift we can give is inspiration!

17. We seem to be running a theme here. It seems many of us are in the middle of the struggles in pursuit of our dreams. Some of us have been pushed from what might have been relative comfort (comfort is so hard to leave). But in the end it matters little of how we found our way on the path. Laine, it is stories like this that give the rest of us hope. Hope and a dream are the two greatest possessions you can have. Without them you are merely existing.

Thanks Jon,

It does frequently seem that way doesn’t it.. a particular thread or world events sets us off – a little ‘hive’ minded perhaps.

Apologies for the delay in replying – work got in the way of my blogging activities

Hope to read your stuff soon.
    Thanks