Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Burned, But Maybe Not Broken

August 8, 2010 by
Filed under Sense & 'Cents'ibility, Uncategorized

We had a little fracas in my kitchen recently, my teens were cooking! I found myself  having to exercise  a) my self control, and  b) my memory to recall some tips my Nana gave me (things weren’t as throwaway in her day, and although she’s been gone over 20 years her wisdom lives on).  Fortunately, we managed to turn a negative into a positive, not only for the pans sake but for my relationship with my kids!

Here are a couple of tips that may pull the fat out of the fire :

Pans ~ fill with very hot water and add 1/4  teaspoon of fabric softener, let it soak for an hour and the baked on gunge should just wipe away, remember to rinse thoroughly.

* Pans & Bakeware ~ fill with very hot water and add 2-3 teaspoons of automatic dishwasher powder, soak for 1/2 hour or until it clear.

If you find that they need a little more help, you can put pans / metal bakeware still filled with liquid mix over a low simmer on your stove top.  If you use glass or ceramic bakeware (+ liquid) can be popped in the microwave for a minute.

Don’t let them boil dry though!

& on that subject,  Here is another tip from Nana ~  If you have burned a pan (as long as you didn’t burn through the bottom!)   You may be able to reclaim it by boiling up a batch of rhubarb.    Comes up like a new pin!  although  I wouldn’t recommend eating the rhubarb- if you crave rhubarb pie boil up another batch.

Hope they work for you.

Comments

6 Responses to “Burned, But Maybe Not Broken”
  1. Diane says:

These are great old fashioned tips for turning around a near disaster. I had forgotten them. It’s good to be reminded that you don’t always need a high tech solution for everything.

2. Amanda says:

That reminds me of the tasty pizza my sister cooked (actually she was heating up a frozen one) when she was about 13. She left the polystyrene base underneath so that it melted all over the oven. Smelt good too! Unfortunately we didnt have any existing knowledge of how to clean anything off, so just had to scrape! I have never heard the rhubarb idea, but that sounds a good one – thanks for the ideas! (And maybe I shouldn’t admit to simply spraying my damaged cookware with highly caustic oven cleaner. Gets everything off including the Teflon coating!)

3. Laine says:

Diane, Thanks for reading. It seems the older I get the more I realize my Nana knew, she and her generation didn’t always have a special product but frequently had an effective and often more healthy option. We have gotten too used to easy fixes and need to know that the process can be as important as the method.

Your blog always reminds me that all things need to be balanced and modern practices can be too aggressive, older cultures understand that.

If you like this you might find this article to be useful (laundry is such a chore) http://www.thoughtsfromabroad.net/2010/05/19/got-deodorant-stains-laundry-tip/

4. Laine says:

Amanda – Oh yes these amazing smart pans, guaranteed to last through XYZ – give them to a teenager for 10 minutes and tell me about it.

and as for Teflon – my good set of pans was no match for my Mum who decided that the black stone finish was tarnish and cleaned it off! Not as toxic as oven cleaner but the $100 pan (one of a set) wasn’t much use for anything afterwards

5. Mari-Lyn says:

A good batch of tomatoes will also bring your pans back to shine. I have found that I don’t put my pots in the dishwasher it leaves them with a dark film.

6. admin says:

Tomatoes – I’ll have to give that a try! Thanks Mari Lyn.